Monday, October 08, 2007

WORDS FOR MY DAUGHTER



Though you're dancing to a different tune,

I do not love you any less,

How could I forsake my child,

Through whom I've been so blest.

I don't pretend to understand,


The things I wish I could,

Did I do something very wrong,

Or not do what I should?

Counselors say don't blame yourself,


And they are right, of course,

But I search for answers everywhere,

I want to know the source.

Then in my deepest contemplation.


Enlightenment occurs,

It's not about myself at all,

The struggle's really yours.

I don't need to understand,


And I guess I shouldn't probe,

Reasons will not solve a thing,

Or make you choose another road.

My job is to support and love,


And that's something I can do,

A mother's love can't be undone,

It's unconditional and true.

Most of all, I want you happy,


Which once was such an easy thing,

But now you must find it on your own,

And reap whatever it will bring.

Baby, if your heart gets broken,


Because your choice is wrong,

I'll be there to help you mend it,

Just as I have been, all along.

Guilt, I'll not lay on you,


I will abide by your decision,

And I'll respect the choice you make,

Without any opposition.

With all my heart,


I love you, honey,

I'll never leave you all alone,

Even when the Lord sees fit,

To take your poor old mother home.

So smile, baby,


life's hard enough,

Grab whatever joy you can,

And always know your mama loves you,

Though she may never understand.


Virginia (Ginny) Ellis Copyright June 2004


For my friend, whose young adult daughter is exercising her young adult rights of choice.

God Bless!

No comments: